Thursday, August 23, 2012

One Skein Ruffled Capelet


You may think that knit/crochet is my greatest passion. It's not, thrift shopping is. I'm not the type to buy something just because it is cheap, I know what I want and I love getting it super cheap.
This week I found a full skein of Lion Brand Homespun yarn. I am not one to leave poor yarn all alone so I took it to the counter and the lady only charged me 50 cents for it. DEAL :)


What you need:
I skein of Lion Brand Homespun
(or 185 yards or so of a bulky 5 yarn)
Size 15 circular or straight needles
Scissors
Yarn needle
Fun vintage pin


Capelet:
Directions are for a right handed knitter
Ruffle is 4x the number of stitches of garment -3

Cast on 413, this really works best with circular needles so you have the extra length. 
Do not join rows.


 I don't have a pair of 15 circulars so I had to thread the first 200 stitches onto a scrap of yarn. It was difficult but after the first few rows it was less so. 

After finishing this capelet I am thinking about getting a pair of circulars in this size.

Sorry, back to the project.



Row 1: K1, *K2, slip first stitch over second stitch on right needle, repeat from *
Row 2: P1, *P2tog, repeat from *
Row 3: K
Row 4: P
Repeat rows 3 and 4 till you have worked 30 rows
Row 31: K1, *K2tog, repeat from * 
Rows 32-35: K
Cast off.
Weave in ends.

close up of ruffle



Instead of making a loop and adding a button I used a cute vintage pin. 
I am thinking of giving this capelet to one of my Grandmothers but I want to make one for me too. I have several nice brooches that would be lovely on one.

This capelet should fit most sizes, it is about 48 inches around but can stretch. I am a size 12 with broad shoulders and a large bust and this fits me just fine. I also think this would fit one of my family members that is an 18 W petite. 

Ruffled Capelet on Ravelry



Do not distribute or publish this pattern in any other form.
If you like this pattern and would like to share please link to this blog.
Thank you.